VOLUNTEERS – Your indispensable support in fulfilling your mission.
Caregiving skills to provide effective care to your volunteers.
Coaching skills for those who care!
Volunteer assignments can be challenging!
Interpersonal problems, cultural overload, insecurity in crisis situations, lack of motivation, etc.
You see the need to care for your volunteers well. But your capacity is limited and those in charge lack skills for effective and culturally appropriate support.
This does not have to be!
In our 20 years in the cross-cultural environment and in working with volunteers, we have learned a lot.
This also includes the effective and sustainable support of volunteers.
We would love to share these insights with you!
Volunteer Carer Training South Germany
(16 participants – South Germany)
What does Volunteer Carer Training look like?
Volunteer assignments can be challenging! Interpersonal problems, cultural overload, uncertainty in crisis situations, lack of motivation, etc. are just a few examples of the problems that volunteers face.
In light of this, the organization wanted to further empower the coaches/mentors by training them in implementing coaching skills in their interaction with the volunteers. This ensures optimal support for their assigned volunteers.
Each volunteer is assigned a mentor/coach who arranges regular meetings. It is expected that the mentor (carer) and volunteer meet approximately 1x per month.
To create a good and welcoming atmosphere, the meeting usually consists of two parts:
- An informal part (possibly with a meal together). This promotes trust and reduces shyness.
- In addition, there is a formal part, where focused discussions take place, specific questions are asked, and further action steps on certain topics can be worked out together.
This is where the Volunteer Carer Training comes in and empowers the carers in their important task.
The accompaniment of the volunteers has four goals in mind:
- LEARNING: It’s about the volunteers’ growths and development! What has been learned? What is the volunteer taking away so far?
- FEEDBACK: In the conversation we open the possibility to give or receive feedback. What works well? What needs to be addressed? In which areas does the volunteer need support?
- TIME TO REFLECT: Powerful questions stimulate reflection and create the basis for further action steps. In what areas has the volunteer grown personally?
- ACTION: With the help of coaching skills, concrete action steps are worked out together.
Good coaching by trained staff can determine whether the volunteers keep their assignment in good memory and continue to stand behind the work of the organization in the future, OR whether they turn their backs on the organization in a demotivated manner.
Since the caregivers were often confronted with challenging issues (problems in interpersonal relationships, questions about the future, ethical-philosophical issues, processing what they experienced in emergency situations…), it was necessary to teach the caregivers basic coaching skills.
- Genuine listening
- Asking powerful questions
- Systematic conversation
- Giving or generating feedback
- Effective follow-up
- Creating action steps
Practical. Transformative. Simple. But with BIG impact!
Yes, to a certain degree. In the pre-course analysis we will find out exactly what your team needs right now.
- ANALYSIS: An analysis meeting to find out exactly where the participants stand and which modules should be included in the training.
- WORKSHOP: An interactive workshop where coaching skills are taught and practiced. Usually a 2 or 3-day training (can also be 4-6 half days). Physical classroom training or virtual.
- TOOL BOX: Participants are given practical tools that they can use immediately in their role.
- FOLLOW-UP COACHING: Individual coaching for ALL participants to put what they have learned into practice in a sustainable way.
- WRAP-UP: An evaluation meeting to identify further steps of implementation.
Equiping those who care
We train your employees so that they are able to effectively accompany your volunteers.
And this is not a one-off thing!!
We support your mentors, your coaches or your member care staff individually and sustainably!